Sunday, July 18, 2010

area of interest

While writing the draft for my proposal to the University, I really had to choose the area of my interest. There were simply too many good documentary films out there, thus making the task harder. I was torn between humanitarian stories or historical events. I decided to choose the later. Every book that I read emphasized on how important to find a good research topic because it will determine the viability of your research and crucially, you're going to be stuck with the same topic for at least four years. It's only make sense to research on something that is fascinating to you (although it might not have the same effect to normal human being). 

History is broad. So, I decided to focus on political history. Mmmph...you think I must be crazy. Well guess what? I think I'm crazy too! 

I remember the first week of the seminar for graduate students, Prof. Khoo Kay Kim gave us this talk (more like a lecture haha!) and he commented on how the youngsters nowadays are no longer interested in history (I silently thought, oh I've made the right choice :P). And then slowly he commented, who would write our history better than us.

I couldn't agree more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment